Wednesday 11 April 2012

Sri Lanka's Killing Fields

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sri-lankas-killing-fields/4od

I watched the first documentary on this when it aired back in June 2011 and I was disgusted and shocked at what I saw, Channel 4 has used some brutal footage to portray the fact that the Sri Lankan Government is avoiding facing up to some serious war crimes, but they say it's justified.

The second documentary aired last month and recounts the events since the end of the civil war in the country. The commonwealth is shown to have forgotten Sri Lanka's crimes and welcomes President Rajapaska back into the national community with open arms.
The country appears to have investigated the accusations made by channel 4 however they avoid coming to any real conclusion in their reports and completed the process themselves instead of going through an indepent panel.

It's an interesting watch, that's for sure.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,

    I've only watched about 1/3 of the documentary, thanks to your link.

    It's really shocking and sad because i'm sure our countries won't do anything meaningful unless they're threatened or have an interest...
    If they could, at least, decrease arms trafficking it would probably help a lot.

    Stopping arms trafficking would probably diminish those genocides, decrease the number of child soldiers, facilitate the passage and the actions of the various NGOs. Sometimes i really wonder if we want to stop all this.

    The video also reminds me something that has always embarrassed me a bit in the medias, they also do it in France: it's double standard.
    They only censor images of dead people when they are from the West...



    Anyways, i really enjoy reading your random posts even though i don't comment them all. :-)

    Bye, I have to finish my kebab :D

    _Ace_ ( aka @the_joy on twitter )

    PS: Please don't pay attention to my (too many?) spelling mistakes :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad to think this has happened, and yes I agree some of these images really shocked me.

    Thank you very much it means a lot and enjoy!
    (Don't worry I make a lot of spelling mistakes all the time!)

    ReplyDelete