Monday 9 April 2012

Bahrain, What to do?

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the story, there has been protests against the Government there, innocent civilians have been killed and the unrest in the region has led many to question if Formula One should ever return after last years race was cancelled. As the event approaches, more and more people are voicing their concern, from Racing legend Damon Hill to MP's in Parliament. Today the Guardian has published an article in which an anonymous Team Principle speaks out showing their concern for safety. This un-named boss who is said to be a Leading member of the 12 team principles went on to say "I feel very uncomfortable about going to Bahrain. If I'm brutally frank, the only way they can pull this race off without incident is to have a complete military lock-down there. And I think that would be unacceptable, both for Formula One and for Bahrain. But I don't see any other way they can do it." This shows the harsh reality of the situation there and amounts more pressure on the FIA to re think whether Bahrain is capable of safely hosting the race. From a pure, selfish point of view I'd want the race to go ahead simply because I love F1 and don't want to have to go another weekend without it. However I can't ignore the safety issues and the fact that a lot of Bahrain civilians want it cancelled because of recent protests, so in my opinion, it should be cancelled. Not only to protect the reputation of F1 but to also respect the needs of the public who are unhappy with their ruling.

No comments:

Post a Comment